2nd Tuesday of each Month \ 6:00 pm
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
680 Calder, Beaumont TX
Call 409.833.3663 to RSVP or for more information.
With the goal of providing awareness, education, affirmation and support, the "Gift of Life" offers a year-round Prostate Cancer Support Group, which serves more than 50 members, a testament to the importance of cancer support services for those who are newly diagnosed, in active treatment and survivors, as well as their family and friends. Developed by the "Gift of Life" in partnership with the American Cancer Society, the Support Group is the only active group of its kind in Southeast Texas.
As the size of the group has grown, so have its offerings to members. Volunteer survivors trained by the American Cancer Society serve as peer counselors for men who are newly diagnosed. Through this special relationship, a current prostate cancer patient is matched with a companion who has undergone a similar experience and may be able to provide insight and much-needed encouragement, as well as discuss shared experiences and available resources. Additionally, the group offers a 24-hour hotline to provide support and referral information, and it is in the process of establishing a library of reference materials for members and other interested parties in Southeast Texas.
Led by facilitators who are prostate cancer survivors, meetings cover a variety of topics that are chosen by members. Guest speakers and topics have included:
- Mohit Khera, MD, MBA (Baylor College of Medicine)-
- Albert Ong, MD- Dealing with Incontinence;
- Joseph Kong, MD and Ernest Hymel, MD- Prostate Cancer Staging;
- Keith Tekell (Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital)-
Spiritual Dimensions of Prostate Cancer;
- Max Bowen, LPC- Dealing with Depression;
- Chris Smith, MD (Baylor College of Medicine)- Incontinence;
- John Henderson IV, MD- Prostate Cancer: Methods of Diagnosis, Various Treatments and Consequences, and Current Research; and
- David Spencer, PhD- Prostate Cancer Vaccines
After the question and answer session of each meeting, men and women break out into their respective groups to discuss issues affecting them as it pertains to their cancer experience.
For more information about the Prostate Cancer Support Group, please call Telice Meadows at (409) 833-3663 or (877)720-GIFT(4438).